Terms & Conditions
The Authenticity Guarantee service for Watches (“Authenticity Guarantee” or “Authenticity Guarantee for Watches”) makes third-party inspection and authentication services (“Services”) mandatory for certain items sold on eBay.co.uk. These Authenticity Guarantee Terms and Conditions (“Terms”) apply to the Authenticity Guarantee service for Watches and Authenticity Guarantee Eligible Items detailed below sold and purchased on eBay.co.uk and sets out the terms on which eBay offers you access to and use of the Authenticity Guarantee service for Watches.
Applicability of eBay User Agreement.
- The eBay.co.uk User Agreement, eBay’s User Privacy Notice and all policies posted on our sites (collectively, and as the same may be amended from time to time, “eBay’s Policies”) apply in addition to these Terms. In the event of a conflict or inconsistency between these Terms and eBay’s Policies, these Terms will control as to all matters that they explicitly address. For all matters not explicitly addressed by these Terms, eBay’s Policies will control.
- Applicability of eBay’s Money Back Guarantee. eBay Money Back Guarantee covers items returned within the seller’s return window and items that satisfy the eligibility requirements and are not received, are not as described or that arrive damaged. Learn more about eBay Money Back Guarantee.
- Description of the Authenticity Guarantee Service. Upon the purchase of an Eligible Item (description in Section 6(a) below) on eBay.co.uk, the buyer automatically instructs eBay to initiate the Services. The item is then posted by the seller directly to a vetted third-party authentication partner to carefully inspect the item for authenticity and accuracy against the item listing. Upon confirmation of the item’s authenticity by the third-party authentication partner, it is properly packaged and securely posted to the buyer. If the item's authenticity cannot be verified or the item is significantly not as described, a refund is issued to the buyer.
- Description of the Services. The Services are provided by a third-party authentication partner ("Authentication Partner") for Eligible Items purchased and delivered within the United Kingdom. The Authentication Partner will inspect the item within two (2) business days of receipt at the facility and the authenticated item will then be sent to the buyer as soon as possible. This check will include inspection of the watch for authenticity, and for accuracy against the item listing. By purchasing an Eligible Item, you agree and acknowledge that you instruct eBay to direct the seller to send the Eligible Item to the Authentication Partner to perform the Services. By listing an Eligible Item for sale you agree and acknowledge that eBay will require you to send the Eligible Item to the Authentication Partner to perform the Services in accordance with the buyer’s instructions. More information about the Authentication Partner and Services may be found here.
- Authenticity Guarantee Programme Fees. The Services are provided at no cost to sellers and buyers for Authenticity Guarantee Eligible Items that are bought or sold on eBay.co.uk; however, eBay reserves the right to institute, alter or amend fees or costs associated with the Services, at any time, at eBay’s sole discretion.
a. Item Eligibility.
Only selected listings on eBay.co.uk are eligible for the Service. eBay may amend the eligibility requirements for Eligible Items, including, but not limited to category, and/or value of items and/or transactions.
Although only selected items are eligible at the current time, the Authenticity Guarantee will be rapidly expanding. Check listings for the “Authenticity Guarantee” blue tick badge to see if items are included at this time.
Eligible Items must satisfy the following conditions:
- Price: over £1,500, exclusive of postage
- Condition: New and Used UK items. Watches may contain repaired and/or aftermarket parts.
- Category: Wristwatches
The following items are not eligible for Authenticity Guarantee:
- Items not bearing the Authenticity Guarantee badge
- Wristwatches listed in categories not named above
- Miscategorised items, e.g. other types of watches such as smart watches, fitness trackers, pocket watches, jewellery or other items listed in the Wristwatches category.
- Customised wristwatches
- Engraved watches
- Items purchased using an offline payment method
- Listings that offer local pickup
- Items posted to P.O. Boxes
- Items listed by sellers who are not activated on eBay managed payments
Ineligible items will not be authenticated. More information about item eligibility may be found here.
b. Country Eligibility
The Authenticity Guarantee service on ebay.co.uk is available for buyers with a delivery address in the United Kingdom. eBay reserves the right to expand or limit the countries eligible for Authenticity Guarantee or the Services at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice.
7. Party Roles
- Your Role as Seller. By listing an Eligible Item for sale on the eBay platform, you agree and acknowledge that eBay will require you to send the Eligible Item to the Authentication Partner to perform the Services in accordance with the buyer’s instructions and you authorise its inspection by the Authentication Partner subsequent to its purchase.Upon purchase, you are required to post the Eligible Item, using a shipping service with signature confirmation, to a facility located within the United Kingdom, as directed by eBay. Items must be sent to the facility individually unless part of a multi-item order. The cost of postage to the Authentication Partner is not covered by eBay.You acknowledge and agree that if the Authentication Partner cannot verify an item’s authenticity, a refund will be issued to the buyer and you shall cooperate with removing the item from marketplace circulation.
- Your Role as Buyer. By purchasing an Eligible Item on the eBay platform, you instruct eBay to direct the seller to send the Eligible Item to the Authentication Partner to perform the Services. You acknowledge and agree to inspection of the Eligible Item by the Authentication Partner prior to your receipt of the Eligible Item. In addition, if a return is requested, you acknowledge and agree to post the Eligible Item using a shipping service with signature confirmation to the Authentication Partner and to inspection of the Eligible Item before the return is processed or a refund is issued. More information on returns under the Authenticity Guarantee can be found here.
- Circumvention of Buyer and Seller Requirements. If buyer or seller circumvent or do not comply with Sections 7.a or 7.b of these Terms, or if buyer or seller violate or are found to be non-compliant with the Terms, eBay reserves the right to take immediate action such as, but not limited to, account restriction or suspension.
8. Data Privacy. eBay's collection and processing of personal information in connection with the Authenticity Guarantee service is governed by the User Privacy Notice that applies to your use of the eBay.co.uk website or, as applicable, another eBay international site. For items purchased that qualify for the Authenticity Guarantee service, eBay will share your order information, including but not limited to your name, address, email address, and telephone number, with the Authentication Partner in order for it to provide the Services. By selling or purchasing an Eligible Item, you direct eBay to provide this order information to the Authentication Partner, who may disclose this information, however collected, to its affiliates, service providers, and other third parties (such as postage carriers and revenue authorities) as necessary to perform the Services.
9. Lost, Damaged, or Items Not Delivered. Items that are lost or damaged during the Authenticity Guarantee process are protected by eBay's Money Back Guarantee, subject to the eMBG guidelines. eBay assumes the delivery risk from the Authentication Partner to the buyer and any items lost or damaged at the Authentication Partner facility. Items that are undeliverable or otherwise unclaimed after thirty (30) days will be considered abandoned and eBay reserves the right to donate or otherwise dispose of the item in our sole and absolute discretion.
10. Service Updates and Discontinuation.
eBay has the right to amend, suspend temporarily, and/or discontinue permanently, the Authenticity Guarantee.